4-year jail time period for attacking retired Montreal cop in his residence
One of three men who attacked a retired Montreal detective is his LaSalle home was sentenced Friday to a four-year prison term.
Quebec Court Judge Joëlle Roy sided with the defence when she sentenced Sandel Pierre, 21. The prosecution had recommended an eight-year jail term.
Roy noted there was no evidence to indicate a motive for the assault on Pietro Poletti and his mother on June 12, 2020.
Before he retired, Poletti had been an expert on the Montreal Mafia and organized crime for decades.
When Pierre pleaded guilty in September to four charges, including breaking and entering and assault causing bodily harm, the prosecution said it had no evidence of a motive for the attack.
Pierre and the two other men who attacked Poletti said very little during the assault. One of the men appeared to confirm to the others that Poletti was the person they were supposed to attack.
The men used a metal bar, a shovel and a brick to strike the retired detective several times in the face and stomach.
Pierre admitted he was the one who struck Poletti with a brick.
“It was amateur work with no identifiable motive,” the judge said, adding Poletti didn’t go to a hospital to be treated for the injuries he suffered.
“A sentence that is too long would go against the chance of rehabilitation. It would serve to punish for the sake of punishing and the other principles of sentencing.”
With time served factored into the sentence, Pierre has roughly six weeks left to serve. The prison term will be followed by two years of probation.
The two other men who attacked Poletti — Yadley Deutz Saint Jean, 25, and Mitchaino Bruno, 26 — were found guilty late last year after a trial. The sentencing stage of their case will start in June.
Two men convicted of attacking retired Montreal police detective in his home
Man who attacked retired Montreal police detective in his home pleads guilty